The first school opened on 20th October 1873 in the Wesleyan Church with 73 pupils under Thomas Brown. Following a difference with church authorities in 1876 the school moved to the Temperance Hall. The State owned building, approved in 1878 and completed on 1st May 1881 by D. Spence at a cost of £770 was occupied on 1st May 1882.
The school was officially opened by Dr. A McLeod, President of Bellarine Shire.
The site is north of Newcombe Street, being portion of Section 26, Township of Portarlington, in the County of Grant.
The school still stands on the original site.
School enrolments have fluctuated over the years. By 1921, numbers had increased so much that the school was raised to the status of Higher Elementary School, but lost the Secondary section in 1932 when attendance fell during the Depression.
At present (2017) the enrolment stands at 206.